Thursday 30 August 2012

Committing Myself, Montessori and Canal Boats

I decided last night to commit myself (when you're in education you often feel you're heading this way!) to a craft monthly make.  Being new to all this blogging I had never even left a comment on anyone's site before let alone tried to gain a stamp/label/thingamajig/whatsit before, which is what I've kind of done although it doesn't link to the actual site so to do that please go to http://thefeltfairyuk.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/make-month-2012-sign-up-here.html.  Anyway, I'm feeling proud of myself but if anyone can help out with how to actually link or even what that picture is really called in the margin then I'd be pleased to know.

The first monthly make for August will be the hat I sewed up and finished first thing this morning.  I'm posting the pic here and then I will try to post to the August group on Flickr - which will be another first if I succeed.

Update: the photos don't appear to be wanting to upload here but I have succeeded in posting to the August Flickr site - Hurray!!http://www.flickr.com/groups/1882864@N22/

Today is also the 142nd birthday of Maria Montessori.  I would love to visit a Montessori school to see how it works in real life.  I try hard in my own teaching to engage the children through tasks, being multi-sensory and creating a happy and playful atmosphere whenever and wherever possible and guess what it works.  Unfortunately, in the present climate, I feel I am being constantly told this is not how teaching should be.  Ofsted's ticklists do not account for happiness and a child's sense of learning and I seem to be fighting a losing battle.  Therefore, the more promotion of such teaching as Montessori the better.

I have also managed to buy two presents to be squirrelled away for Husband's birthday.  This is quite an achievement as normally he only receives the latest Terry Pratchett book.  However, I popped into The Works yesterday and found a waterways calendar for 99p (yes I checked it was for 2013!) as well as another book in the series about canal boats he is currently reading (also a bargain at £1.99).  I have yet to read them myself but they seem to make him explode with laughter.  Now I just have to hope he doesn't buy it for himself during the next two months!

Photo doesn't want to load - what's going wrong?


1 comment:

  1. Happy Birth Day! I loved all the pictures above which are expressing your words. I think having canal boat journey is a great way to spend some beautiful moments with our friends, family and worker etc. which make us experience as like adventure and fun.
    Jessica@ River thames canal boat hire

    ReplyDelete