Wednesday 29 August 2012

New Beginnings

It's the first time I've ever blogged so I hope anyone reading this forgives my errors and newbie ways.

My hope is to document my steep learning curve as a new SENCO and to communicate my findings, trials and tribulations and possible breakthroughs in the ways of teaching those children in mainstream primary school who find it so hard to learn like the majority.

I also want to share the wonderful creativity there is in the world in all its forms that's helps make life bearable as well as some of my own efforts in creativity and craft!

During the bank holiday weekend I attended the International Festival of Glass held at Stourbridge and was blown away by the beauty and incredible techniques and mastery of the glass workers.  I learnt so much and witnessed pure magic as people created amazing pieces of art in front of my eyes.  The event encompassed a number of venues of which I only managed to get round the Ruskin Mill, Broadfield House and the Bonded Warehouse in the one day, however as the exhibitions are running until 15th September I'm hoping to be back to see more soon.http://www.ifg.org.uk/

The photo shows the glass vase I bought from the student stall.  The young man who sold it to me (as well as being the craftsman who had made it!) has just completed his three year course and talked so animatedly about the things he had learnt during his time there; he was a brilliant ambassador for the college.

 
The photo was taken on a very dull and rainy day so you just have to imagine how beautiful it truly looks when the sun is shining through it!
 
The next three photos unfortunately show what is happening to the glass industry as more people choose to buy cheaper imports from abroad.  I can remember visiting this Stuart Crystal site during the 1990s to buy various glass decanters as wedding gifts (I wonder how many jobs were lost when it closed to move to the much smaller premises across the road?)
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment