Saturday 1 September 2012

New Thoughts on Assessment, Dr. Who & New Knitting Project

I am currently reading a book (Helping 5 to 8 year olds with special educational needs by Chazan, M Laing A.F. & Davies, D 1991) that devotes its first 7 chapters to the assessment of children with possible special needs.  Already it has hi-lighted to me that often in school we only use assessment for what the child can or cannot do.  The words "assessment should aim to discover how a child learns" are making me realise that this is probably the most important reason for the observations I will do in classes as SENCO and how that could help focus everyone on how we get these children to proceed in their learning.  It's at this point I would really like some contact with others in education or parents with children with S.E.N. that are helping their child learn and could give me more ideas.

This will be a short post as Dr. Who begins tonight and it's a ritual in our house that we all watch it together.  Harks back to my own childhood, spent watching from behind the sofa!

Lastly, have decided to begin knitting jumper for daughter with wool donated by my mother (Wendy Naturelle in brown/white 1980's?).  Of course, daughter has idea of what she wants it to look like, slash top, simple cables, but can I find a pattern for it in chunky - no.  So it looks like I will be creating my own and fingers crossed it will turn out alright!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on starting your blog, and thank you for your comments on my blog. Im also a teacher and Dr.Who fan, so i'm looking forward to reading your future posts x

    ReplyDelete