Saturday 8 September 2012

Tardebigge Flight & Elephant Hawk Moths

As it was sunny - hubby and I decided to go out - we were heading for the Kington Show but traffic conditions made us change our minds on route and we ended up parking at the Queen's Head pub at Stoke Pound, having lunch there and then walking up the Tardebbige Flight of locks to Tardebigge (where the Tardebigge Village Fete was going on - a complete surprise) and then after an ice-cream and drink there, heading back down the flight and back to the car at the pub to drive home.  It was funny to think that the flight had taken us about 6 hours to do in a canal boat one way!!

Unfortunately, I had forgotten to take my camera, but there were not many narrow boats cruising today (maybe a sign of the recession?).  I would have liked to have shown a photo of the elephant hawk moth caterpillar I came across but instead have found a photo http://www.wallwork.me.uk/garden.html that shows the approximate size (big aren't they?)



1 comment:

  1. Wow! My son would've loved to see this. His grandmother gave him some caterpillars which he watched over every day until they left the cocoons. He was sad they were gone so soon.

    ReplyDelete